Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Uncle Philbert on Perspective and Angles

Uncle Philbert here...with a dnrseekers report on weekend waymarking. I'm the superlatively handsome "phlamingo" with the googly eyes. I use my big eyes to check out new things. Anyway...we went waymarking.  First of all--it was HOT! Why these humans can't go on a nice, moderately warm day with no humidity, I'll never understand. They either go when it is HOT and HUMID or raining. But they wanted to check out the intersection of two national garage sales. Yup--in Van Wert, Ohio, the Lincoln Highway intersects with Highway 127. And from one end of the country to the other, people were holding garage sales. (Don't know what they will do when they sell their garages...where will they park their cars? It would be like a phlamingo holding a nest sale!) They saw lots and lots and lots of stuff. They did not see any radiant heaters, which is what Rick wanted to find. That seemed odd to me, since it was 100 degrees outside. At any rate, they found all kinds of interesting things to submit as waymarks. I guess you'll have to stay tuned to find out what those were.

And then came the fun. Instead of looking for new waymarks to publish, they went visiting in familiar territory. We came back to the great Hoosier state of Indiana and spent some time in Fort Wayne. One of the sights we saw was a GINORMOUS anchor...(and it's not even in the ginormous everyday object category!) This anchor was on the USS Indianapolis. It would certainly sink Rick's houseboat! But I went looking for the best angle. I started flying around, just to check things out. I saw an opening and thought I would take it.

But then it happened. I GOT STUCK! my rear end was left hanging out the back side of the anchor. I'm not generally sensitive about my rear end...I understand human woman will often ask if some article of clothing makes that part of their anatomy look fat...but I'm not a human. I'm just a mascot. I am here to tell you, though, that mascots have feelings too. When Rick and Diane started laughing at my plight, it just didn't seem fair. None of the other "phlamingos" have gotten stuck. Of course, Philbert the Original almost drowned in a creek, but that was more scary than humiliating. So bunches of pictures later, they saw fit to rescue me. Hopefully the next time we go exploring we can all keep our cool and our feathers unruffled.

On a serious note...the Coliseum in Fort Wayne has many memorials to our veterans, including the Eternal Flame. Team dnrseekers wants to say thank you to all who have served their country.

No comments:

Post a Comment